Tuesday, March 30, 2010

It is called parenting...

Sometimes when I go out at night people ask me who is taking care of Elle. When I tell them, "Mr. Bishop" they give me a half smile and tell me how nice it is that he babysits.

IT IS NOT BABYSITTING. It is called PARENTING.

Mr. Bishop is Elle's dad. Her other parent. We share responsibility for her. Granted, I make many of the day to day decisions about the house and child because I am home and it is my full time job. However, when he is home, he makes decisions and parents. If I am going out (big night to Target or *whoot whoot* my aunt's house for a rousing game of scrabble) I don't prepare him a bottle or make a daddy doo doo list. I walk out the door with two kisses planted firmly on his and Elle's foreheads.

A note about being a parent. Stand your ground, even as a daddy. For all the mommy's reading this...stand your husband's ground for him in public also. We have been doing this parenting gig for about four months and we are really getting the hang of it. I have to very much respect what my husband wants to do with our daughter. For example, while at a recent social gathering he asked someone holding Elle to hold her a different way. I fully support that for two reasons.

ONE: I want us to be a united front in all public settings. We are a team and we act like a team. If I have a beef with him, I will wait until we get in private to discuss how we want to do it differently next time. (Read, I will yell at him later, but will not undermine his parenting authority, which leads me to point two.) TWO: HE IS HER PARENT, what he says goes. If my husband is not comfortable with what someone is doing with our child it is not only his right to intervene...it is his responsibility.

Mr. Bishop doesn't babysit.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally!!! Same here! My hubby was a stay at home dad while I worked for the first 8 months of Olivia's life... And then we swapped spots and I've been a stay at home parent since. Doesn't it feel awesome to be equal parents and partners? Everyone in the family benefits. Children need each of their parents equally involved in their lives. I feel it not only builds a strong family and marriage but I believe it makes a confident, strong child. Like right now while I type this, my hubby is playing 'Kung-Fu fighting' with our daughter at her request... She likes to pretend to be one of the characters from her Kung-Fu Panda movie. I'm not really up for much Kung-Fu fighting so I'm super glad that my equal parent hubby is taking care of this one! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I get frequently, when asked "Where are the kids?", is "You're so lucky to have a husband who will take the kids for you! Mine won't!" Yes. Yes I am. And I feel bad for those women who don't get a break. Even the most devoted mommies need a break from the kids. :) And it's even better when daddy plays Mr. Mom.

    And people underestimate how important daddy/daughter dates are! Little girls need time with their daddies. No mommies invited! Madeleine loves spending alone time with George because he offers a different parenting angle than I. And I'm good with that. :)

    Good babysit--er, parenting, Mr. Bishop!

    ReplyDelete